Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the forum so quiet lately?

Default Why is the forum so quiet lately?

He released a new album, new videos, he has a tour coming, but the forum is not as active as it used to.

Because there are roughly five active users, fifteen sort of semi-active users, and a whole lot of ghosts? Most of those who are active either can only post so much, are here because they are overly attached to the memory of the place and not Manson, or only post to news/music rec threads. Or you know, get bored of posting with no response apart from resounding silence. Throw in two weeks down time over the album launch period to fix issues, two more weeks down time right at the tour release and new music video etc, then you have any potential conversation cut short anyway.

Some might hypothesise that the old guard have moved on, except that is a load of bullshit, because bunches of them are still present on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. It is just that they aren't using this board. There are several other massive Manson fan pages that have friendlier interfaces for the average fan, very active recruitment AND active community building. None of which PM really does, or does consistently. Result? Tumbleweeds and dust. Perhaps there is an element of the perils of modern social media being quick and low cost engagement and PM being the opposite of that, but still just look at ETS or other fanboards to debunk that idea.

But hey! Feel free to move into the active user group and get with the promoting, talking to everyone, and writing the posts you want to read, or at the very least commenting on. :)
    Last edited by Enname; 04-24-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

This is kinda ironic for me, because I also participate in a Silent Hill forum which is even more inactive than here right now, and there are many threads there of people asking this same question. The general consensus is that the lack of a new major title in the saga has led to a lack of interest, however, here it's pretty much the opposite.

Personally, I recently listened to HUD and I really liked it, although it didn't blow me away like it could have probably done had I heard it in 2012. I have listened to tons of songs by other artists that aren't MM and discovered dozens of new favorite bands since then and it just got hard for me to be WOWed by music presently. I also know many people who feel the same way, maybe for different reasons but all the same they don't feel the music as intensely as before, so even if there's a new album they feel indifferent to it. This said, I still find it wildly entertaining to delve into his lyrics and to meet other fans.

Also, I don't wanna be the one to bring back those discussions, but the latest scandals might have turned some away from the band.
    Last edited by MrFroz; 04-24-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFroz View Post

I also know many people who feel the same way, maybe for different reasons but all the same they don't feel the music as intensely as before, so even if there's a new album they feel indifferent to it. This said, I still find it wildly entertaining to delve into his lyrics and to meet other fans.

Also, I don't wanna be the one to bring back those discussions, but the latest scandals might have turned some away from the band.

I like how the automatic response is to blame Manson in some way for PM being inactive. And I am not really talking about you, but as much in other threads across the board where it is addressed. A prospect that is entirely ridiculous because there are plenty of fans going around elsewhere for him. MMC has tens of thousands of members, the Instagram hashtag is always busy, Reddit is hardly deceased. And sure, some of them are about fifteen and make your eyes bleed, but there are others who have been around since '92 or '95. There could be an element where everyone is too spread out amongst other platforms, with music burnout, or that writing in text based forums not their thing, but there is definitely no lack of fans. Much of the issue has to lie with the forum and its users.

(And ffs, it is Manson, by this point in time scandals should not be precisely a surprise. Something was bound to come back to bite them in the end from the various members' behaviour over the years)

That being said, please keep talking. Doesn't simply have to be Heaven Upside Down (although some conversation about that would be nice), but yah know. The other albums still exist as well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    MMC has tens of thousands of members, the Instagram hashtag is always busy, Reddit is hardly deceased. And sure, some of them are about fifteen and make your eyes bleed, but there are others who have been around since '92 or '95. There could be an element where everyone is too spread out amongst other platforms, with music burnout, or that writing in text based forums not their thing, but there is definitely no lack of fans. Much of the issue has to lie with the forum and its users.
    I didn't know about any of those communities, to be honest the only one I frequent and know is this one. I had an account and actually made some posts in the MansonWiki forums but they don't exist anymore since a long time, and I also used to follow certain threads on Babylon but those forums don't exist anymore either. I don't really care about social media because I prefer to write stuff that I can easily find in my post history later.

And yeah, I guess given Manson's mainstream popularity he'll always have a lot of people following him even if the passion of some burns out. I was just trying to explain why some old-timers might not be as hyped over HUD here.

As for the scandals, I do acknowledge that there have been plenty throughout his career but I mean, certain scandals like for example him being blamed for the Columbine Massacre, on an individual level were always silly and even if one had doubts, it was just a matter of finding what Eric & Dylan actually thought about Manson in order to know how baseless it was.

However, I feel like recently there's been some stuff that's not as easy to debunk as that and because of the fact that nobody can prove a negative, it's a bit confusing for certain fans (myself included) to take a stand on the matter. Anyhow, I'd talk about albums other than HUD but I'll do so when I see the proper opportunity, don't feel like resurrecting old threads right now.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

People use the internet far different then they did when we created this site. Where as forums were a common feature on sites, now itís FB groups and reddit. Which is great, Iím part of some good groups but itís not something Iíve cared to do for PM. It was always about making a place here, to make it how we want and itís served us well. Perhaps if the forum is dead and everyone is moved onto other platforms - maybe itís time to rethink this forum as a whole. There is no practical way to compete with platforms so different t from us, so if a majority of people feel the forum is no longer of use, maybe we can turn out the lights?

Facebook is great but is also noise pollution. Sure, there are groups with huge numbers but the content really isnít any better and sometimes is worse. Do I think adding. Thousands of more users here will make it a better experience? Not particular. Also not interested in the social media who posted content first even though most arenít even citing sources.

Peoole are always welcomed to make their own sites and forums or do what they think will work better - but when it comes to this site and Manson, I donít think Iíd change a thing with everything itís allowed us to do and experience.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

It's been quiet because I've been mostly absent as of late. *Boom - There, I said it. This topic always arises whenever I take breaks from the site. Also, what Cringeon had to say.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    There is no practical way to compete with platforms so different t from us, so if a majority of people feel the forum is no longer of use, maybe we can turn out the lights?
    Never said that it is no longer of use, because that is clearly not the case, even if the speed of PM is somewhat more glacial than rapidfire. Just that before complaining people could perhaps actually use the forum beyond casual drive by posting to note that it is quiet without contributing more than that. No one needs to compete at the same level as a global company with all its reach and data manipulation. In fact that is an entire reason in and of itself to keep the forum, because it is external. And people are definitely capable of using multi platforms, that is not an issue - but it never hurts to think about how to encourage active engagement and/or promotion. A refresh to make it more appealing to anyone who is new, or curious. There are people here who would help and be enthused (yes, that is me volunteering).

@Shangri-LIE: then stop prevaricating and having a life.
    Last edited by Enname; 04-30-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    @Shangri-LIE: then stop prevaricating and having a life.
    @Enname Right.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I love this mammoth of archived manson paraphenalia paired with user input on design and theory. I would be quite Sad if this forum were shut down.

TBH, I hate the huge fan pages (facebook) because of all the NOISE. I'd prefer our library of a site than the mess hall whatshisface reigns over. To be fair, I did meet some awesome people, but social graces are overrated and if I'm on my manson stick, I don't want some pretentious kitten pissing on a decent post
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.