Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the forum so quiet lately?

Only reason I’m not as active as I used to be is because the whole virus thing made me want to avoid the site for a bit. I wish it was more active in fact I’ve kind of witnessed the tail-end of this stuff. Lots of people are gone, idk what happened to half of them but I assume life gets in the way. I’ll always be here regardless of how I feel about the quality of MM’s work. I’ll always see PM as the figurative “Official” forum.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Now might be a good time to remind the staff that we still don't have threads for ANY of the upcoming Twins of Evil tour dates.

If you guys aren't planning on getting around to making them someday could you at least open up the subforums so we can make the threads for them ourselves?

Getting kinda fucking ridiculous at this point, lol.

Restoring functionality to the LIKE feature someday before the end of time might be a good idea, too.

:P

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Whoops that’s actually my fault, I forgot to add them in. I will get it done, maybe tomorrow.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

All remaining TOE threads added, actually there was a couple there. :D

Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

Aside from people leaving or simply taking long hiatuses, I think it's also because Internet forums are bound to eventually slow down after a while. Internet forums also aren't as popular as they once were in the 2000s. Aside from Facebook and Reddit, fan-bases also flock to Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. (As already previously mentioned.)

I'd actually like to see Provider Module last though, especially with all the effort that has been put into in spite of some ups and downs, not to mention all of the other Marilyn Manson forums that came and gone before it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    All remaining TOE threads added, actually there was a couple there. :D
    Like.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Forums are very active. An increase in overall social media usage among the populace doesn't mean that usage has decreased in other areas. People can do more than one thing. Forums aimed at specific topics are just as populated as ever, whether it be musical artists, video games, programming, cars, etc etc. Facebook groups and subreddits are an amazing resource and, considering that most peope online have a Facebook and Reddit account, have absolutely cut out a big chunk of the middle man when it comes to niche forums aimed at one subject like I mentioned - but those forums are still doing fine.

Frankly, it's because Marilyn Manson isn't really a big deal anymore. I won't use this discussion to put forward my feelings about his work lately, but we can still address his perception and popularity. It's absurd to not address the entire very specific purpose of an online community when addressing the health of that community.

Most people on the street would probably not even know if he's still alive. I've actively watched the fanbase dwindle down to nothing over the past decade or more. And that's not say Manson was still a household name in 2008 either. It was definitely a lot more active, but it still relied on the legwork of a handful of power users to keep things really moving. And just like most of the others, I watched so many super-fans all go through the same changes until eventually I'd see them either posting on Facebook or starting a thread here to sell their Manson stuff.

The Facebook MM fan groups might have a lot of people in them, but that's not an accurate reflection of a real, strong fanbase. People 'like' a Facebook page or join a group if they're even the most casual fan of something. I can't count the number of times I've clicked on a band's page and saw "Your friend Joe Schmoe likes this" when I know for a fact that Joe's dumb ass couldn't name more than one song by that band.

His type of fans are 'people who like going to shows,' not really so much 'people who like Manson.' A not insignificant number of those users are likely folks who vaguely remember Manson from the 90's and maybe they'll use one of their nights away from the kids to hire a sitter and go to his shows to hear The Singles - hence him playing only The Singles at every show.

So yes - the utilization of specific forums like these have declined in favor of more centralized communities like reddit and Facebook, but it's not at a universal rate across all forums. It relies heavily on the actual specific topic of the forum. The truth is - Manson doesn't impress many more people than the small group of die-hard fans he already has. His work isn't turning on new people or making waves in the music scene. And those who already know his stuff are getting completely turned off in increasingly higher numbers with every new release.

We can debate the quality of Manson's output all we want, but the fact of the matter is that it's very rarely the case that an artist hemorrhages fans and respect when they're doing well.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

^ Stupid post is stupid for SO many reasons.

And FUCKING LOL @ "most people online have a Reddit account," ffs.

But anyway...

Hazekiah likes several of the other recent posts in this thread with THIS post because he STILL can't just fucking click the LIKE button that's been sitting there like a useless PoS for, what...A FUCKING MONTH or so?

Baby steps, I suppose.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

"As of February 2018, Reddit had 542 million monthly visitors (234 million unique users), ranking as the #4 most visited website in U.S. and #6 in the world, according to Alexa Internet, with 57.4% of its user base coming from the United States, followed by the United Kingdom at 7.5% and Canada at 6.3%. Across 2015, Reddit saw 82.54 billion pageviews, 73.15 million submissions, 725.85 million comments, and 6.89 billion upvotes from its users"

I wonder who's got a more accurate grasp on internet culture and communities - me or the guy whose laptop catches fire every time he feebly attempts to operate it lol.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    ^ Stupid post is stupid for SO many reasons.

And FUCKING LOL @ "most people online have a Reddit account," ffs.

But anyway...

Hazekiah likes several of the other recent posts in this thread with THIS post because he STILL can't just fucking click the LIKE button that's been sitting there like a useless PoS for, what...A FUCKING MONTH or so?

Baby steps, I suppose.
    Haz, calm the fuck down!
    The forum was updated and the Like button required that too. The Like button is not part of the VB forum package and is a paid for addon. The priority is the site is online and main forum is running, the like button will be added back in soon. #firstworldproblems #hazfirstworldproblems :D