Late to the party, but why not put up a review? Well, many reasons. I have never been a Wonder Woman fan. If I was going to like any DC female, it would be Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn ... or anyone else. The Greek origin story irritated me, the use of Lesbos did, as well as the gushing of every young girl I knew over her as some sort of female superhero. So going into the film I was hardly rushing with enthusiasm, but I was curious to see what they did with the script and the character. I was actually charmed by it. I still hate the origin story, but it was made palatable by the representation of the various warriors there. Diana (and Gal Gadot) was charming, and the visuals pretty. I loved her in the trenches and with the troops - very Joan of Arc there. However, I was not fond of the the endless special effects ending, and the endless commentary on her sex appeal (do I give a shit that you think she is the most beautiful thing ever? Also: show, don't tell. Just saying), the clumsy attempt to make it both sexy and political commentary, and the passive aggressive crushed masculinity of Steve Trevor.

I'd still not write a review simply for that reason, but I am now annoyed by the reviews I have been reading. There are of course the ones that note the film is mediocre at best and only popular because of the 'zeitgeist' around women, otherwise it would be considered terrible. Because of course over 50% of your audience wanting to be like to be treated like actual humans and given representation is a passing whim, and it is so terribly easy to undo decades of gendered representations of female superheroes. Then there are the reviews that are written (usually by women) that are celebrating someone or anyone at least trying to make a film with a woman in the lead. Usually the commentary is then around her relationship to Trevor and as sex symbol and falls into either the feminist icon, or conversely is disappointed and it is a feminist flop camp. Much like what I wrote above.

What none of them do is really talk about the film beyond these elements, and my absolute favourite thing is not mentioned at all. Fuck Lesbos (ehe), what I really wish the movie had more of was the interaction between Diana and Isabel Maru (it might also pass the Beschdel test then). Not only did they manage to avoid being incredibly Orientalist and racist unlike the comics, but they made Maru more interesting. Compared to the bombast of Ludendorff, she was creepy, sadistic and clearly getting more fucked up. Mostly though, it is her and Diana that made the film. If Diana is the beautiful, innocent, perfect demi-Goddess, untouched by man and man's approach to women, then Maru is the opposite. Quite literally deformed and disfigured by the love of others' pain, by the war, by the desire to kill. Although the director noted she self harmed her own face to test the mustard gas, the film itself implies that she is twisted by her experiences of rejection, of violence and fear - she is hurt by Trevor's deliberate manipulation of her at the ballroom, and she is driven to greater lengths by the desire to please Ludendorff, and is almost invisible to the rest of the army and men. The damage of her living in a world of man and violence is literally inscribed on her skin, on her absence of half her face. For me, Maru is the ultimate vision of how a woman ends up feeling when exposed to society - obliterated in face, in body and twisted into something unnatural. Diana? Not yet, and you can see her realisation of Maru as the ultimate ending. It ups the stakes for Diana's tarnishing as the film goes on, and the struggle to not be objectified, to simply be herself, to embrace her power and yet still be empathetic. The last third of the film alas, sells this short in so many ways. Sure, Diana does not kill Maru (a relief, because it is like killing yourself)... but then eh. Yawn, motivated by manly sacrifice.

If it had been my film I would have had 100% more Maru as bad 'guy', and a true attempt to distort and explore the planting of an innocent amongst the world. Playing on Diana's purity, fear and the horrific nature of not only war but gender. Let's build that character, and eh, remove the boring bits. Sure, no one would have gone and seen it barring me, but it would have been so much more interesting.

Anyway, if you are interested in seeing a hint of the most scintillating interaction between women in any superhero film ever with subtle discourse, this was it. But if all you want some action that is neat, then the choreography is pretty reasonable and it should satisfy.