Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Default Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

For the first time in the history of forever, Australia actually managed to get a film release significantly ahead of not only the rest of the world (via timezone) but also the US. So I am not going put in a review just yet - look at me pay attention to the HUGE FUCKING WARNING about spoilers that ran before the film - but rather at least start a thread for them to go.

Come and talk, when you've seen it. ;)

Because, OMG.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

As usual, there's always the Easter egg ending after the end credits.

Soooo much better than Ultron.

I am quite sure that everyone very soon is about to say all there is to be said about Infinity War good and bad. But here, have a splat of words.

Personally, for something that came in at a reasonable length, I think they did extraordinarily well. I love its black-hearted dsytopian outcome, that leaves you sitting in bleakness and tension for the 'what can come next.'. It always is and always will be my favourite type of material. And the fact that Marvel managed to pull off one of the most breathtaking, audacious moments in superhero movie history, one that tore apart everything about the past 10 years of Marvel movie making, is rather glorious. Exposing all the hubris, short-sightedness, and false optimism of the franchise in one foul swoop.

I cannot express how much I love the fact that Stark is left almost alone in space as the sole survivor, and with all his failures. When the others started turning to dust, I had the hope that this would be the case but not that they would go through with it. And they did. Be still my slightly bleeding heart.

That is using your narrative wisely, overriding even the constant dizzying dash of places and planets.

Much of the success hangs on the choice to have Thanos as main narrator was somewhat genius. His calm, logical, and reasonable demeanour only hit home the futility of the entire endeavour to 'save the universe.'From that bleak, bleak and futile opening as Asgard is wiped out, to the final snap of fingers. Not least being the logical extension of Stark's own goals. The subtle oscillation between the small brief moments of hope that the Avengers would win through, with the pervading knowledge (and optimism) permeated from Thanos that there was no way they could come to anything but what happened was lovely. The tension between the two states is exquisite, and even where it didn't quite hit home as hard as it could because of characterisation (this is not a film easily accessible to those who have not seen the others - lots and lots of character short hand to make us care and fit in everyone) it still worked.

There are things that irritated me, such as Thor's characterisation (an ongoing issue), the brevity of T'Challa, the CGI for Thanos (lolz). There are things I loved - the 'dwarf' as giant, Gamora, all of Wakanda, the in jokes and one liners, the shame and guilt of the Avengers.

But all of that is dust and ash in the face of the ending. XD
    Last edited by Enname; 05-13-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Saw it a week after opening weekend and it was really damn good. Definitely the best Avengers film so far. Kind of wish they had the balls to stick with what happens at the end but I realize that would make too many people mad.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

^ They would also lose money as they have sort of taken out some of their bigger money spinners. But it was nice to see them go there and stick with it thus far. :)

Yeah true, plus I love Spider Man too much so with bink-boink-doink happening and all, I wouldn’t want that to be permanent. :P
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.