Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Ready Player One (2018)

Default Ready Player One (2018)

While I am in the mood for spamming this thread and for seeing films, let's go and talk about Ready Player One.

There has already been a great deal of '80s nostalgia revival in the form of Stranger Things, which draws on Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. extensively. By extensively I mean right down to the opening part where one character goes missing which is pretty much blow by blow remake of the entire scene with Elliot in E.T.. And that is not even including every single image of a kid on a bike in a forest that is so pervasive in the first season. There are continued references to The Shining, to Alien, and of course Terminator 1 and 2. And of course the soundtrack is a 'best hits' of the '80s.

So we should be pretty much primed for Spielberg to being doing his own nostalgia trip, with a spin in Ready Player One. Which, to be honest, is pretty much the only reason why I was watching this film (that and the dystopia element), not being not remotely interested in gaming, teenagers, teenagers in video games, nor the book (don't ask). So sure, I was completely unsurprised to find a whole bunch of likeable but undeveloped minor characters, to be deeply irritated by the main character, wish for a WHOLE lot more world building of just what the hell is going on outside of the game (which sure I know from the book, but... I shouldn't have to rely on it), and the ending kind of faded away into meh.

But I was at least pleasantly suprised that despite this I was not terribly disengaged. I rather like that it is such a dystopic world that no one is even bothering to think about dealing with the social issues outside of the game (although this may not be deliberate). And the cinematographic skills put into making the virtual game feel like you were literally in the game was impressive. The relentless pacing of the action scenes is matched perfectly to the genre of game they are emulating - whether it be a racing game like Demolition Derby (opening), or Diablo like scenes etc. While not being a gamer, I watched my brother play enough of them to be laughing the whole time identifying which one is which. And that of course is the heart of the film, the nostalgia and complex cross referencing to every single film Spielberg has made, or had copyright access to. It is alternatively hilarious and clever - the scene from The Shining was so many levels of awesome it made my highly illegal download worth it (I can after all fast forward through the bits that bore me).

More than this though I am fascinated by the conversation (riposte?) that Spielberg is quite clearly having with things like Stranger Things and all the other shows that are using and picking from his back catalogue. If only I knew enough about either of them to pick it all up, but even a glimpse is riveting.

Moral of the story? If you haven't seen Stranger Days, then do so immediately. And then watch Ready Player One.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Not trying to spam the Celluloid section with replies but this movie was so damn good. The Shining bit was totally the moment I said to myself "I love this film" not to mention all the gaming stuff I picked up on. I feel like this is kind of like the millennial generations 'Tron' to a certain extent. Or it at least appeals to the same demographic.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by FuckmanQ View Post
    Not trying to spam the Celluloid section with replies but this movie was so damn good. The Shining bit was totally the moment I said to myself "I love this film" not to mention all the gaming stuff I picked up on. I feel like this is kind of like the millennial generations 'Tron' to a certain extent. Or it at least appeals to the same demographic.
    Feel free to spam, I hear it is called 'conversation.' After all, I spammed with threads :P

Although I did have a 'spirited debate' with a friend of mine who is a gamer the other day who was taking exception to the feel of the game play being wrong, to which I pointed out at least there was something to take exception to.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Omniscient Iniquitous Dirge Inferno's Avatar

One of the best movies I seen the past few years.