Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'EAT ME, DRINK ME': MARILYN MANSON'S GREAT, UNDERRATED GOTH ALBUM REVISITED

Quote Originally Posted by Shangri-LIE View Post
    It's not a Gothic record nor an emo one. It's a fucked up, tear jerking, uncomfortable to imagine personal testimony of himself in an unimaginable hell, confused by his morality, yet it's still a delectable morsel of "better misery" in his discography. Simply put, "Nothing to see here. Move along, now.".
    This record did set off a lot of people, including Manson for it being labeled Goth when it came out. And correct me if I'm wrong, but this album came out right before that EMO bull crap came about?

Quote Originally Posted by theimpaler View Post
    This record did set off a lot of people, including Manson for it being labeled Goth when it came out. And correct me if I'm wrong, but this album came out right before that EMO bull crap came about?
    I think a lot of Emo bands were pretty huge around the album's release. Wasn't 'Mutilation...' pretty much directed at My Chemical Romance? Or am I misremembering something?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It's an odd period in music, nothing was really 'big' at the time, so what Manson might have been railing against seems somewhat weak in retrospect. Bear in mind though, Nu-Metal died on its ass, and the crossover acts were few and far betweeen; maybe System Of A Down, Slipknot and Rammstein, that's about it...

He was right to take a stand at that state of music, but I think since then without him trying, 'Emo' and the mid noughties chart toppers generally killed themselves off quicker than Manson's consternation.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

It's highly regarded as one of my favorite summertime albums.

I loved this album when it first came out and still do.

I absolutely love the guitar work on the album from Skold and feel it makes the songs more interesting musically, the guitar solos are a nice addition as well. I was quite disappointed at the time when Shold left after this album, would've loved to hear more from Manson & Skold and to see where they would've went after.

Hearing The High End of Low afterward was a massive disappointment to me at the time and I lost interest in Manson for a number of years afterwards. It's only been in the past year where I've gone back to that album and come to really like and appreciate half the songs on it.

2007 was also my first time of seeing Manson live, first headlining Download then at the Birmingham arena, one visual that sticks in my head from that show is Manson using the massive chair prop for 'Are You the Rabbit?',.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansoniser View Post
    I think a lot of Emo bands were pretty huge around the album's release. Wasn't 'Mutilation...' pretty much directed at My Chemical Romance? Or am I misremembering something?
    You're correct. Emo pretty much existed and was HUGE, 2004 - 2007, after that it died a really really quick death.
    Whilst most of his beef in 'Mutilation' with MCR stemmed from Gerrard Ways black stripe over the eye makeup and the bands suits (which were very very similar to the Manson bands suits in Golden Age of Grotesque) The song was also a stab at PANIC! At the disco for their video where it's all very Burlesque and similar to mOBSCENE (including the red hat and suit worn by the singer), and also apparently after that video, PANIC! made a video with Dita Von Tesse. Mansons Dita wounds were still pretty fresh at the time.

As for the album. Well I've been a huge fan of Manson since 1996. And I was excited for Eat Me,Drink Me. I thought the last song he'd done (the Personal Jesus cover) was amazing and I really hoped he was going to pursue that sound. His interviews talked the album up as going that way too with mentions of Bauhaus and goth etc..and Id just come out of my longest relationship at the end of 2006 as well and was a mess, so I just thought the album was going to be amazing. I first heard the song Mutilation is the Most Sincere form of flattery, a friend was DJing in a club and played it. I thought 'holy shit this album is going to be the best ever!' It was when my housemate came to my room to tell me there's 2 new Manson songs on MySpace, I ran to his computer and we listened to snippets of 'Heart Shaped Glasses' I thought 'ohhh...This is the lead single?...' and the other song was If I was your Vampire, we listened and I thought it sounded more like 'One' by Metallica than 'Bela Lugosis Dead' Maybe 2 months later the album came out, I listened to it alone, in my room, twice...I was soo underwhelmed, I just felt 'that's it?' I was also dissapointed to see no band, and no band pictures (this was a first for a Manson album)
    Now being a huge Manson fan, I was not just gonna put the album away, nah I played it that whole winter/spring 2007 (I'm from New Zealand). I never disliked the album, not at all, but it was the first time in my life I was underwhelmed by a Manson album.
    I guess Nostalgia is a reeeallly powerful thing, because years later, maybe 6 years later I realised it had a strange power over me. I guess a combination of many things. The first time I ever saw Manson live was Eat Me,Drink Me tour in 2007, my first tattoo was the spiral heart from the album, the state of depression I was in during that era and how I came out rejuvenated months later with Eat Me,Drink Me, as the soundtrack to that time of my life, and of course the 2 albums he put out after Eat Me,Drink Me which I thought were career low points (still don't get me wrong, I think THEOL and BV are much much better albums than most other bands best albums and still play them)
    But overall the dissapointment I first had with Eat Me,Drink Me is gone, I'm still trying to decide if in Hindsight it's aged well and isn't actually that bad, or if its just the power of nostalgia.
    It's curious to note he never plays songs (or very rarely) from the album live much after 2008 so perhaps Manson himself isn't so keen on the album?

I always have enjoyed this album as it is very personal, but understand the lack of its success. HSG was just an awful selection for a lead single and the video is even worse. The tour with Slayer was a strange clash of fans. I certainly did not imagine it would expose unfamiliar Slayer fans to Manson in a positive light. Maybe during HW.

With J5 leaving, Skold had some big shoes to fill on the guitar. I think he definitely delivered some of the best guitar work in Manson’s catalog. I wish he would have stayed and I wish he would hav returned last year with a vacancy.

All in all, it’s still a fantastic album that I wish would get some attention during today’s live shows, but I don’t ever see that happening.
    Last edited by DecayingSinner; 08-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Eat Me Drink Me great album that doesn't get the respect it should. Manson and Skold complimented another very well during this era. Very exciting time to be a Marilyn Manson fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DecayingSinner View Post

With J5 leaving, Skold had some big shoes to fill on the guitar.
    Tell me how Holy Wood gave John big shoes?