Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson + Rob Zombie Release HELTER SKELTER cover!

meh
    Chillin' Killin'

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Despite all the shit he had to get through to arrive here, I don't think anyone can deny Manson is having a fucking good year.

This cover is excellent, really unexpected and probably more to my present tastes than Cry Little Sister. I've always loved The Beatles song (incidentally, Siouxsie Sioux and Mötley Crüe both did it a lot of justice) and for something arranged overseas, this adds a lot to the original content that's not atypical of either Manson or Zombie.
    It's a weird song anyway, given how different it sounds to a lot of The Beatles' more mainstream work, but the added inference (which I see has been implemented on stage) of the Manson Murders and Charlie's appropriation of Pop Culture couldn't be more deftly handled by all involved here, reflecting both the cover and their dual investment in the Manson legend.

I mean fuck man, three fifths of the Holy Wood lineup coming together for something bold, groovy, and which showcases the best of both Manson and Zombie is quite an acheivement for a free track on the Internet to promote an already well-publicised tour. THIS is how artists give love back to their fans.

So yeah, big, massive cover, a different approach to vocals for Manson over his old bandmates' solid noise. I've been enjoying the Tyler era, but there's old school chemistry you can't deny, Fish and 5 are all over that arrangement just like they were working for Manson. I'd assume if they recorded it in America and Manson did his parts in Europe, he'd have received it more-or-less finished, and you can tell he wanted to do something more reminiscent of their previous work together. A real shame Twiggy couldn't have been part of this, I can hear shades of Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day, which in itself was closer to The Triptych era.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansoniser View Post
    Manson is really doing a lot of covers recently, more than usual. Not that I mind.
    Probably more than say, post-EAT ME, DRINK ME to Born Villain, yes. But since working with Tyler I think the covers have been at the same sort of level as between '94-'03. Manson's ability to continuously cover a variety of artists and nestle them into his greater body of work was quite rare for MTV-era artists, unless they did an Unplugged or something.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

When a live clip of this is uploaded with Manson, John 5 and Ginger Fish all playing together on stage again I'll probably get goosebumps and a bit misty eyed 😢

...I just hope Manson don't start throwing mic stands at Ginger like it's 1999 again! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Manniqueen of Depression View Post
    When a live clip of this is uploaded with Manson, John 5 and Ginger Fish all playing together on stage again I'll probably get goosebumps and a bit misty eyed ��

...I just hope Manson don't start throwing mic stands at Ginger like it's 1999 again! ��

Mic stand friendly.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

The introduction referencing both of their birth years is also a nice touch.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Im really digging this song. I love the original but this is equally as awesome.

The live version is great too, pleasantly surprised to see the vocals work well together. Although it made me realise how much Manson has missed John 5 live. Yes he is a great guitarist, but he's tone is always spot on for every song. Something that I don't think Manson has had since.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

I wonder if this'll be on the next Zombie album. I know they currently have infinite monkeys sitting at typewriters (hopped up on NyQuil, 70's exploitation movies, and whiffs of Sheri-Moon's panties) trying to come up with his next album title. So I'm hopeful.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

As a long time fan it’s definitely nice seeing Manson on stage with Ginger and J5 again. Good times looks like they had fun.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

I especially like Manson getting stuck in his jacket, lol.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

The live performance presentation~