Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Retrospective: Antichrist Superstar

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Retrospective: Antichrist Superstar

For, well, 'no reason' other than I did a few of these and never completed the list, let's do a discussion of Antichrist Superstar. It's oft-lauded as a jewel in Manson's crown, but it's also the band's first major success, from a very different time than the one we now live in.

How does the album make you feel, today? Do you resonate with it? How do you see it in context of Manson's much larger contemporary canon?

No real structure to this topic, it's nearly 2AM in England and I fancied a spur-of-the-moment chat about something big in our collective fandom. I'll endeavour to read what everyone adds here, and perhaps also to do another few retrospectives soon.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Down, but not out.

Antichrist Superstar is one of those albums that I actually feel the same way listening to since the very start.

I definitely resonate with it the most, if not equally to Mechanical Animals. As for the context, I saw it as Marilyn Manson further revealing his overall type of music and message, building on top of his introduction to it with Portrait of an American Family. I don't know why this is so hard for me to put into words though, but just listening to the songs and looking through the album itself was more than enough to let me understand at the very least what he intended to get out to his audience.

I think another reason why Antichrist Superstar stands out so much is due to the history of it being linked with Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor. To this day, both of them are permanently intertwined among the fan-bases, not to mention that it was also an enormous hit with all of The Downward Spiral lovers.

Dare I say though, Holy Wood still seemed to be the closet album to recapture Antichrist Superstar in my opinion though.

However, right up there with Mechanical Animals, it's still the most popular and discussed Marilyn Manson album of all time.

As for my super late reply, I was in between taking breaks from forums and well, it still just seemed hard to put into words. I also think a lot of it has to do with also just being at the right place, time, people, etc. and that is like one of those "Catching lightning in bottle." *Where one can only do so much in terms of what they got to do and can do, while leaving the rest up to fate.* moments of history, more specifically music history in this case.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I think another reason why Antichrist Superstar stands out so much is due to the history of it being linked with Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor.
    I've spoken about this before here and on other boards in the past, but for all the critical praise Antichrist Superstar has received over the years, it's rare that people connect it closely with his book.
    Although the album and Dead To The World were out there for a few years before The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, I didn't really 'get' what Manson was doing until reading his autobiography. The fact that he was 'Marilyn' and 'Manson' went hand-in-hand with the truth and fiction littered throughout both the record and book, and how that was unfolding in the real world.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...