If there is any franchise where nostalgia and reminiscing impacted me so intensely during the previous decade, it would have to be Alvin and the Chipmunks. It turned out to be much better than I remembered it, and also reminded me from an early age that family can transcend DNA, which is what also pulled my heartstrings when it came to the 1983 series.

What actually got me to re-visit this show were the CGI movies from 2007-2015. I'll also admit that having David Cross made the first 3 films very enjoyable. If you ever want to try to CGI series, I'd definitely recommend Alvin and the Chipmunks and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel first, and then take it from there, especially if you end up enjoying Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. Should you not like the 1st and 2nd film, chances are you won't like the rest of the CGI series.

I was also shocked to see that there was an actual 2015 series on Nickelodeon. I hope it lasts as long as it can, and I have certainly enjoyed it for what it is.

The only thing I find to be a real crying shame is that the 1983 series never made it to DVD, but I also suspect that it's due to having so many cover songs, with so many copyrights and samples in need to clearance, thus suffering a similar fate to Beavis & Butt-Head being prevented from being released in seasons as they were originally aired on TV. If anything, the 1983 series is released on DVD as if they're greatest hits compilations more than anything. But at the same time, I'll still just take what I can get.

Oh yes, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Chipmunk Adventure is always a must see. Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein and Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman are okay too, but clearly more for a Halloween mood/setting.

As it turns out Simon and Jeanette are my favorite chipmunks in the way that Leonardo and Donatello are my favorite turtles in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I also like how Alvin and Simon were easily my Cartman and Kyle way before South Park.

As I got into this show way before I got into music, I'm sure this show is one of the reasons as to why rock and pop in general are still my main genres of music to listen to even until this day. And I can appreciate it even more now that I'm more aware of the references in terms of pop culture and music, while being able to look them up with ease on Wikipedia, Google and YouTube. Before all that, I used to think I was watching a 1990s show as a kid when I saw the 1983 series, as it was re-run quite a lot, even until 2000 or 2002 on Cartoon Network if I'm not mistaken. It's no wonder I used to watch this show, if not every day or week, every single month at the very least. It's just hitting me so hard, because it's almost been 20 years since I gave this show a proper viewing, especially upon learning more about the 1961 series and the actual 1960s records.