Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: The Pale Emperor or Heaven Upside Down?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Pale Emperor

12 70.59%
  • Heaven Upside Down

5 29.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pale Emperor or Heaven Upside Down?

The Pale Emperor HAS to be the first choice. Artistically it is far superior.. It was a complete shift in Manson... The most drastic shift in musical style. It had masses of atmosphere. It had limited edition versions which were just stunning and of extremely high quality. The artwork was also just brilliant.

I can understand people preferring HUD.. but only if they didn't like the style of music on TPE... HOWEVER... even if you dont like TPE music style, it is hard to put HUD above TPE for the reasons above. HUD is basically Manson by numbers (other than Saturnalia and the last few songs). Its like a bit of Antichrist, a bit of Golden Age, a bit of High end of Low etc. I guess he tried to make each song better than on previous albums but it lacks atmosphere as a result.. lacks flow... additionally I cant see ANYONE choosing HUD over Antichrist or Golden age etc. if they want to listen to some classic Manson tracks. (other than because its newer and has less listens, but won't stand well over the next few years).

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Of the two records, The Pale Emperor is stronger and more dynamic, so I hold it in higher regard. However, I'd argue Heaven Upside Down has the most replay value. Obviously it can depend on mood, but generally if I fancy a contemporary Manson session, ...Down has more songs you can put on independently. It's a deliberately 'catchy' record, whereas ...Emperor's complex tracklisting feels more deserving of a start-to-finish journey than a selection of heavy-hitters.

I'd also say (possibly excluding Odds Of Even) Saturnalia is the best track on both albums combined.
    It might have the most replay value in the short term, but its too much like his older albums which will wear over time.

Regarding Saturnalia. yes, excellent song and one of his strongest in a long time, although "overneath..." is one of my favourite songs and TPE had "Warship" and "Cupid" which are equally stunning.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalarts View Post
    It might have the most replay value in the short term, but its too much like his older albums which will wear over time.
    Strangely, I think when it was released one publication surmised The High End Of Low as sounding like "the most expensive mixtape ever", suggesting that it borrowed heavily from Manson's own back-catalogue and was re-treading 'old ground'. I can hear a few similarities, but would argue that ...Low retained an identity all its' own, moreso than Heaven Upside Down, which does seem to knowingly channel several of Manson's past sounds.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

heaven upside down....ABSOLUTELY
    time-traveller

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Strangely, I think when it was released one publication surmised The High End Of Low as sounding like "the most expensive mixtape ever", suggesting that it borrowed heavily from Manson's own back-catalogue and was re-treading 'old ground'. I can hear a few similarities, but would argue that ...Low retained an identity all its' own, moreso than Heaven Upside Down, which does seem to knowingly channel several of Manson's past sounds.
    How bizarre, I'd argue that THEOL while having similarities in themes with EMDM is one of his more distinctive sounding albums to me.

Both are awesome but Iíll have to side with TPE. Everything about that era was great. The artwork, the album packaging, fantastic music. Iím so gutted I didnít see him live in that tour. I donít even think he came to the UK did he for that album? Maybe Download Festival actually but I remember I couldnít make it.
    Heaven Upside Down had some great stand out tracks. SAY10, Saturnalia, Blood Honey. But it does feel a little short and everything seemed to be more glued together with TPE era.

Looking forward to the new one. (We all are though 😉)