Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We Are Chaos Album Discussion

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justsomeguy View Post
    Sometime this weekend I’m going to write my own essay-length review. Partially for the fellow fucks of this forum, partially so that I can properly collect myself and my own thoughts about it to myself.

In all, hands fucking down the best album since Holy Wood. Trounces anything he did with Bates (while I still do adore TPE and mostly enjoy HUD). I genuinely feel as if it comes from an alternate universe where this was released instead of GAOG. It is next level, simply a masterpiece and that is the first time I’ve believed that right out the gate in 21 years.

Bravo.
    Are you going to post your review to this forum? If so, I look forward to it!

I have similar thoughts. I've been giving the album full listens, then I'll find myself (as I am right now) just singing along to, almost in a trance, "PAINT YOU WITH MY LOVE". There isn't one song on this record I feel that has a weakness. And as you said ( I love how you worded it) " I genuinely feel as if it comes from an alternate universe where this was released instead of GAOG" because that's exactly how it seems.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

If it has a weakness, it's the same as every post-EMDM record - no core theme or idea to really develop. It's an excellent collection of songs, one of his best, and a pretty good record.

Just once, before he retires, I'd like for Manson to tell a fairly coherent story with a narrator and at least a vaguely identifiable throughline once more. Not asking for it to be metal at all, or to be any particular style, or to tell any particular story, but I still think Manson works best when he sits down with a narrative per his journals.

Take two songs that I love: "Target Audience" and "Paint You With My Love".

If someone asked me what "Target Audience" was about, I'd tell them "American celebrity worship". If they asked me what "Paint You With My Love" was about, I'd... uh...
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

It's an album about mental illness + comorbidities, relationships and what goes on in his own head. That's it. ....And that's okay. Still thinking along the lines of @Justsomeguy
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Eh. That goes for everything he's released since GAOG.

EMDM? Mental illness + comorbidities and relationships.
    THEOL? Mental illness + comorbidities and relationships.
    BV? Mental illness + comorbidities and relationships.
    TPE? Mental illness+ comorbidities and relationships.
    HUD? Mental illness + comorbidities and relationships.

I'm not asking for him to complain about politics or religion again. But imagine just.... telling a coherent story, or mostly coherent, like Diamond Dogs or The Wall, with identifiable characters and such. Any kind of third-person view that isn't "you" and "me" and "we". Imagine a whole collection of tracks about artificial characters. Now that would be interesting.
    Last edited by The Overman; 09-11-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

An album like those you'd mentioned would be awesome, but I don't think we'll ever get anything like those recordings from Manson (Or any band for that matter) ever again. I think those days and that approach to writing are over. You're right about each of the previous 5 albums, including this one, having the same themes. It;s just that with WAC, it doesn't seem to be all over the place. Nothing seems to be hit or miss. There isn't anything bric-a-brac about it. Plus the vocals and compositions of each song are just so lush, raspy, and crisp. He even sounds like he's happy and having at certain points
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    If it has a weakness, it's the same as every post-EMDM record - no core theme or idea to really develop. It's an excellent collection of songs, one of his best, and a pretty good record.

Just once, before he retires, I'd like for Manson to tell a fairly coherent story with a narrator and at least a vaguely identifiable throughline once more. Not asking for it to be metal at all, or to be any particular style, or to tell any particular story, but I still think Manson works best when he sits down with a narrative per his journals.

Take two songs that I love: "Target Audience" and "Paint You With My Love".

If someone asked me what "Target Audience" was about, I'd tell them "American celebrity worship". If they asked me what "Paint You With My Love" was about, I'd... uh...
    As respectfully as I can Mr. Overman, I wholeheartedly disagree.

I admit when Manson described WAC as a concept album, I didn’t quite understand that simply based on how Manson had previously done a ‘concept album’, though I should have understood with all his mentions of Diamond Dogs. It’s interesting you bring both that album and The Wall up as examples, because both are in my top three favourite albums (along with For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music). Those two albums couldn’t be more different however as it relates to a ‘concept.’ The Wall is indeed a proper narrative with characters and plot-lines and arcs. Diamond Dogs is vastly more nebulous and to be interpreted by the self. It has a concept and certainly a line from beginning to end, but the listener is responsible for filling in pieces of what they hear, see, and feel, to make it a proper whole. You definitely couldn’t tell me what most songs on that album are specifically about or rather what the exact story is beyond having elements of 1984, and that’s by design. Whilst the triptych was obviously more akin to The Wall, I completely understand the ‘concept’ nature of this record, and I’m still filling in those pieces. It is a more mature, elder approach to a concept album, and one I feel he does masterfully. Unlike most of his catalogue post-GAOG, I absolutely do not consider it merely a collection of songs.

I’ll just quickly leech onto a side-note you made about statements on politics and religion. Not since Holy Wood has Manson’s lyrics been rife with double and sometimes triple-meanings, which to me again affirms the Diamond Dogs-esque idea of a concept album. I think the reason many see it as yet another album solely about mental health, relationships, and comorbidity is because they’ve been primed to by the bulk of his work over the past 15 or so years. I beg of all to listen to it again, because I read it as his most ‘statement heavy’ album since the 90s. Think of all ‘we’ as ‘us as a people’ for example, or ‘you’ as ‘you as a brave new culture’. You’ve said a few times that Perfume is your favourite track, and that to me is the least subtle example of what I’m talking about and inarguably the most provocatively scathing indictment of modern culture since anything on HW.

*shhh, calm it I say to myself. Wait to lay it all out in a review*
    Last edited by Justsomeguy; 09-11-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Crimes in the Ocean mr.svperstar13's Avatar

Has anyone heard the acoustic versions of WAC and Broken Needle yet? I didn't have time to go to Target and get the CD.

This album is damn good. His voice sounds amazing, the song writing is stronger than ever, and for the first time since the 90s hes put out an album that is great from start to finish. "Masterpiece" might be an exaggeration, but not by much.

I need more time to truly settle into the new material, and to gather my thoughts, but it’s made a really strong, positive first impression. The heart is warmed in its doom.

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

My review:
    I have a Chaos star tattoo on my left wrist. It meant a lot more to me than just an edgy way to express myself. I believe in the inherent chaotic nature of the universe, that all structures, not matter how well built eventually crumble. No plans can be made that are entirely foolproof. The nature of the universe is uncaring: is does not favor good nor evil. In a cosmic sense, much of the things surrounding us are due to random chance.
    We Are Chaos is not just simply saying Marilyn Manson himself has problems. Not only has that been done by him before, but it takes the message and trivializes it. Manson's lyrics are metaphorical and esoteric, but the connections are there, for those who are willing to look for them. We Are Chaos is not just about the man himself; but about the way he fits into the world. Is Marilyn Manson chaos, or is he simply a product of a chaotic world?
    This is instrumentally a classic. Shooter Jennings managed to accomplish what I think no other Manson album has before: put Manson's words into easily accessible and catchy choruses. I think this is the first Manson album I can say that the music holds up to lyrics. The soundscapes painted on this album are layered and memorable. There is always something new to find on repeated listens.
    Red, Black and blue has an amazing intro and I love the transition from spoken word to drums. We Are Chaos has become an anthem. Don't chase the dead is the most energetic he's sounded in years. Paint you with my love is a deceptively innocent song with an explosive outro. Half way and one step forward nearly made me cry because Manson genuinely sounds as if he's at the end of his rope. Infinite Darkness reflects all the viciousness in its concept. Perfume was meant to be played in stadiums. Keep my head together is my favorite song; it's everything I ever wanted in a Manson song. Solve Coagula is a moment of sadness that doesn't go to far, emblematic of the lyrics of being broken but not wanting to be fixed. Broken Needle is the farewell, displaying not only a man that has matured musically, but in life will continue to make music that will always be relevant to the human condition.
    I didn't expect much from this album. After such a Hellish year, it almost seems like a gift from God (or Satan... wink) that this album came to us at this time. I am happy to say that this album is his best in 20 years. This is Manson's new greatest hits album. He made the statement that this album was a masterpiece, and that's a big claim to make about your music. It turned out that it wasn't just a marketing ploy; it was Manson believing in the music he made, and he should be commended for his accomplishment.
    10/10. My 2nd favorite Manson album.
    Chaos Undivided