Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We Are Chaos Album Discussion

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

I'll write up a proper review at some point next week. I've shared my thoughts on it in several threads. Anyway, there may or may not already be a thread for it already, but I'm just gonna post my favorite to least favorite tracks.

1.) Broken Needle
    2.) Perfume
    3.) Paint You With My Love
    4.) We Are Chaos
    5.) Solve Coagula
    6.) Infinite Darkness
    7.) Keep My Head Together
    8.) Halfway & One Step Forward
    9.) Don't Chase the Dead
    10.) Red, Black, and Blue
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by thatrussianman View Post
    My review:
    I have a Chaos star tattoo on my left wrist. It meant a lot more to me than just an edgy way to express myself. I believe in the inherent chaotic nature of the universe, that all structures, not matter how well built eventually crumble. No plans can be made that are entirely foolproof. The nature of the universe is uncaring: is does not favor good nor evil. In a cosmic sense, much of the things surrounding us are due to random chance.
    Similar bit and outlook except mine also or more so stems from my youthful fascination with fantasy, lore and literature. My favorite series was Michael Moorcocks Eternal Champion series, particularly The Elric Saga, basically it and Dune were my Lord of the Rings growing up. I read those books so many times.

Anyhow here is my bit circa 2014.

Back during 2012 at MM's Meet and Greet we chaatted briefly about Chaos and he signed my Unbodied Self the same.

Needless to say I find a certain bit of something extra in the album and some of it's moments....

Will be spinning it while doing some work on the pc today...
    "I'm not special, I'm just broken, and I don't wanna be fixed..."

Crimes in the Ocean mr.svperstar13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    Has anyone heard the acoustic versions of WAC and Broken Needle yet? I didn't have time to go to Target and get the CD.
    Bought the CD and am listening to it right now in my car. Can confirm the acoustic versions use the same vocal tracks like the THEOL acoustic tracks. Still really good tho, Broken Needle rules.

Default yeah I like it

I haven't listened to MM for a while, but I'm now just listening to WAC on repeat and it's making me feel mischievous.
    I haven't felt like this for a while.

Whether or not it's actually well made music? I can't tell. But if you consider music that stirs your emotions good, then this is great.

This album is the wine I needed for a long time. Skipped HUD, and this album is so on point I feel like he’s made some black magic perfection. I haven't been this satisfied with a Manson album since Mechnical Animals and I was a kid back then.
    Last edited by FuckmanQ; 09-12-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

okay

it’s like an art rock twilight of industrial mallgoth, reminds me of The Next Day by Bowie, but dripping in almost eye-roll worthy goth tropes, but that’s kind of a total mood tbh. I love the strong lean into this bluesy dusty sounding dark lord of Americana persona he’s been suggesting at for the last 3 albums. the shitty vocal ability really wouldn’t work in any other context. the production is clean, maybe a little too clean at first, but reveals a texture upon 2nd or 3rd listening that is undeniable. I think this is kinda... classy

I hear the Manson I haven’t heard since Holy-Wood in the vocals, not in terms of ability or lyrics, but I think maybe cadence and melody. It makes albums like High End of Low and Born Villain colossal embarrassments in my mind. Heaven Upside Down a misstep. But of course we wouldn’t be where we are without them

In a vacuum this should’ve come after Holy Wood, though I do like EMDM and TPE. It’s totally Death Valley 2020 and the spacey Hell’s Angels in the desert vibe just makes so much sense following Holy-Wood and MA

I get the album cover and think it works alright, though I feel like it should’ve been like, a surreal desert w Manson as a space cowboy or something ridiculous like that. This album gives me rusty vibes but make it goth and spacey, and the cover rn feels a bit disconnected from my fantasy. I get it though and it’s NOT ABOUT ME or my fantasy and the cover is fine

The track that straight up made me gasp dramatically was Paint You With My Love, it is so rich and unlike anything we’ve ever heard from Manson on an album. I am reminded of the Holy Wood b-sides/demos and some MA-era moments (like A Rose and a Baby Ruth), but SO expansive and anthemic, with of course many years of age layered on top of that.

Don’t Chase The Dead is, as many are saying, perfect 80s horror film soundtrack, gives me Lost Boys vibes. C’mon neon-lit biker bar. I am so impressed by his vocal melody on this one. It’s been awhile.

Album gives me concept-album vibes to a certain degree but I think it’s mostly mood. Which is nearly completely consistent. Deep South horror twilight from kingpin of campy industrial goth

I’m not sure that it’ll be received by most publications as a MASTERPIECE or anything, yet I feel like it is to a hardcore Manson fan. and as one myself, that’s pretty special.

Enjoy the record y’all

BLUE BLUE ELECTRIC BLUE

Original AIDS provider.

Have listened to it a few times now and I'm not really having the great reaction to it every one else seems to be having. I'm warming up to it on multiple listens and I get to know the songs, but it's not hitting me as immediately great. That said, I'm kind of confused by the poor opinion many seem to have of HUD.

It's a good album to be sure, and I like it, but I feel like ultimately it'll go in the same category as something like EMDM or THEOL: I'll listen to it when I'm in a very specific mood for it, but it won't form part of my normal listening. If I had to name one criticism with it, I feel like energy-wise it never really fully takes off. It starts promising with Red, Black & Blue, but then it's a drop and never picks up to the same level again.

Standout tracks for me are Red, Black & Blue, Infinite Darkness and Solve Coagula, but there's some really nice parts scattered all through the album. I also enjoy the lyrics to Paint You With My Love and Half Way & One Step Forward.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Crimes in the Ocean mr.svperstar13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    That said, I'm kind of confused by the poor opinion many seem to have of HUD.
    That's easy imo. Stuff like JESUS CRI$I$, SAY10, KILL4ME, We Know Where You Flippin Live is a real step backwards after more mature and reserved The Pale Emperor. HUD is an album I wouldn't want to show my friends because of those tracks. Granted I do like some of those songs as a sort of guilty pleasure but KILL4ME's lyrics legit sound like something you'd find scribbled in a teenager's notebook. Also HUD was peak Manson trying to come off as a....I dunno "tough guy"? It was weird. The entire era felt like a giant leap backwards after TPE, other than Saturnalia which is the only song I really go out of my way to listen too off that album.

I don't think it's his worst album or anything but it's very mediocre and by the numbers, like his heart wasn't in it at all. Well between his dad passing away and him probably falling out with Tyler Bates (again) I guess it's par the course.

WAC is a step back in the right direction after TPE...imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Have listened to it a few times now and I'm not really having the great reaction to it every one else seems to be having. I'm warming up to it on multiple listens and I get to know the songs, but it's not hitting me as immediately great. That said, I'm kind of confused by the poor opinion many seem to have of HUD.

It's a good album to be sure, and I like it, but I feel like ultimately it'll go in the same category as something like EMDM or THEOL: I'll listen to it when I'm in a very specific mood for it, but it won't form part of my normal listening. If I had to name one criticism with it, I feel like energy-wise it never really fully takes off. It starts promising with Red, Black & Blue, but then it's a drop and never picks up to the same level again.

Standout tracks for me are Red, Black & Blue, Infinite Darkness and Solve Coagula, but there's some really nice parts scattered all through the album. I also enjoy the lyrics to Paint You With My Love and Half Way & One Step Forward.
    I have to admit at first I wasnt blown away either, but now I find it hard to stop replaying it. There is just so much stuff happening in the songs productionwise that I seem to find new stuff to like every time. It had to grow on me but now I think its incredibly solid

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.svperstar13 View Post
    That's easy imo. Stuff like JESUS CRI$I$, SAY10, KILL4ME, We Know Where You Flippin Live is a real step backwards after more mature and reserved The Pale Emperor. HUD is an album I wouldn't want to show my friends because of those tracks. Granted I do like some of those songs as a sort of guilty pleasure but KILL4ME's lyrics legit sound like something you'd find scribbled in a teenager's notebook. Also HUD was peak Manson trying to come off as a....I dunno "tough guy"? It was weird. The entire era felt like a giant leap backwards after TPE, other than Saturnalia which is the only song I really go out of my way to listen too off that album.

I don't think it's his worst album or anything but it's very mediocre and by the numbers, like his heart wasn't in it at all. Well between his dad passing away and him probably falling out with Tyler Bates (again) I guess it's par the course.

WAC is a step back in the right direction after TPE...imo.
    Call me a teenager then because KILL4ME is one of my favourite post-Triptych songs. Manson's always had a certain element of childishness to his lyrics, that's part of his style. But I always felt like HUD was a really strong album, there's not anything on there I consider a weak track. Opinions and tastes, I guess. But when you say it's by the numbers and his heart wasn't in it, that's kind of how I felt listening to WAC for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Para-Noir View Post
    I have to admit at first I wasnt blown away either, but now I find it hard to stop replaying it. There is just so much stuff happening in the songs productionwise that I seem to find new stuff to like every time. It had to grow on me but now I think its incredibly solid
    I'm interested by what you're finding there because I found the production incredibly sparse for a Manson record, what exactly are you picking up on?
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna