Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We Are Chaos Album Discussion

Default We Are Chaos Album Discussion

Well, the album is officially out and I just completed my first listen. I think this album is excellent and I can't wait to listen more. Standout tracks from my first listen are:
    Red, Black, and Blue
    Don't Chase the Dead
    Infinite Darkness
    Broken Needle

What are your first impressions? I'll discuss more the more I listen, but I just wanted to get this conversation rolling. Welcome to the WE ARE CHAOS era!

Crimes in the Ocean mr.svperstar13's Avatar

I think it's a really great album, for sure. Think it'll definitely be more well received than HUD by the general masses. I'll probably post a review ITT tomorrow I'm getting ready to go to bed.

Maybe it's just me but this album definitely reminds me of The High End of Low more than any other, particularly Paint You With My Love and Infinite Darkness and I guess Broken Needle too. Plus just the general vibe. Who knows though I am half asleep.

Red, Black and Blue immediately reminded me of Born Villain/Overneath the Path of Misery with the tribal like drums and bass. Broken Needle may be one of his most personal and introspective songs yet. Could have sworn that Shooter said somewhere that it was partly inspired by Four Rusted Horses anyone remember that?

I get the vibe from the album that the overall message is "hope despite the bad times"
    Last edited by mr.svperstar13; 09-10-2020 at 11:09 PM.

I agree that this album is really great, and that it will most likely be received well by most Manson fans and casual listeners. I think the lyrics were very solid. After digging into some of Shooter's solo stuff recently, I expected the music side of WAC to be a little over-produced by him, but I think it was balanced pretty well. I also agree that there is a theme of hope, and I also hear a slight theme of sorting through bullshit to get down to the core of what really matters in life. It's unexpected from Manson to have such a positive record, but at this point I already know (and love) to expect the unexpected from Manson every time. There were some lines in a few of the songs that I found interesting because they could be taken as both positive and negative though, such as "If tonight lasts forever, it won't matter if there's no tomorrow". I love that dichotomy. It's past 2 am here so I am getting to sleep now, but I plan to discuss further tomorrow after another few listens.

It's so weird how it plays well with the current issues at the protests and the chaos in the streets right now, plus the fires. What a strange coincidence of timing. It's like Mechanical Animals had sex with The Pale Emperor and this is the baby. I hear some GAOG in it too as well as THEOL. I thought this was going to be an album of ballads to Lindsay and that I would hate it. Man was I wrong. It's so depressing that there's no tour go with it. He's done it, guys, he's a legend, this album is being received so well. I absolutely love it.

P.s is Paint You With My Love sexual and silly? Or is it just me?
    Last edited by Marsmind; 09-10-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Broken Needle

Finished downloading and my first run thru.

Very enjoyable - top notch Manson. Found it to be diverse enough and a nice moody mix.

Red, Black and Blue
    We are Chaos
    Don't Chase the Dead
    Perfume
    Solve Coagula
    Broken Needle

Paint you with my Love sounds like it should be over the PA as fans depart the show.

Much luv!
    "I'm not special, I'm just broken, and I don't wanna be fixed..."

Amazing album!

Oh god how fucking good this new album is, especially in this time.

once again thank you marilyn manson for just keep doing what you do

Love how this album feels like it's exploring new themes musically and still has the recognizable Manson stamp on it so to speak. It's really a whole new direction and I love that. Some songs feel like a throwback to BV and THEOL which makes me think Manson is making the music he wants to make. He's not trying to be the man he was in the 90's. Because why the fuck should he anyway? What makes Manson a great artist is that he keeps evolving and this album proves that once again.

I love that they made it for the sake of making a good album and ignoring the fact that there would 'have' to be one or two catchy singles on it . I also read they didn't think of how to play it live, they just concentrated on producing good music. You can tell when you listen to the layers in the production and it makes the songs and the production better I think.
    I think the songs work best when you listen to the album as a whole. Some of the songs kinda have to grow on me (like Infinite Darkness, it's so repetitive) and some (like Don't Chase the Dead) work right away. So catchy. I love the groove and energy of the opener, but I can hardly make out what the lyrics are so I can't get into it 100% yet unfortunately.

I'm not sure if I can call this a masterpiece yet (don't get me wrong, I love it) and I don't know if in time I'll rate this higher than TPE (best since HW imo). But since Bates Manson has been back on track and if he keeps making art like he has the last five years I will look forward to the next five. Or ten, fifteen, etc.

This album proves Manson is one of the last great rock n roll stars that know how to stay relevant in this wicked world full of chaos. After working with Bates this is a great new direction that shows him evolving as an artist. If he keeps up giving this awesome quality he might just become the last great living rock star.

Anyway that's all I can think of to tell about this album. Also I'm tired, so I'm struggling to find the right words in English.

One last thing I was thinking of though.. With the whole social distancing thing I thought it would be fucking awesome if MM did a tour through seated theaters with just the slower songs so to speak. With seated shows audiences can keep a distance and artists can keep making a living. I don't know if that's a thing in the States, but here in the Netherlands bands do it all the time. (before covid, we're not back at that level yet)

I also keep making this parallel in my mind with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds since the single WAC came out. I remember when Cave released Push the Sky Away and became hugely populair. Maybe that was just my perception because it was the first release since I was a fan, but I remember they suddenly started selling out way bigger venues. The records they have made since are all masterpieces as well. After a decades long career
    If Manson's music would evolve in a similar way in the future (Cave's early stuff is also way more dark and heavy) I think it would really suit him as well. I don't see him screaming the lyrics to Disposable Teens or The Beautiful people when he's in his 70s. But he is full of talent and has a wide range of songs that prove that he can go into any direction he wants.
    I don't know, I just think it would be cool if Manson's music would go into a similar direction in the future. Sorry if that's a little off topic.
    EDIT: just wanna emphasize I don't think that this is what he should do, but I think it would be great to see (in an era perhaps, dunno). And I'm damn sure he would pull it off so goddamn well
    Last edited by Para-Noir; 09-11-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Sometime this weekend I’m going to write my own essay-length review. Partially for the fellow fucks of this forum, partially so that I can properly collect myself and my own thoughts about it to myself.

In all, hands fucking down the best album since Holy Wood. Trounces anything he did with Bates (while I still do adore TPE and mostly enjoy HUD). I genuinely feel as if it comes from an alternate universe where this was released instead of GAOG. It is next level, simply a masterpiece and that is the first time I’ve believed that right out the gate in 21 years.

Bravo.