Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on cell phones at live shows

Default Thoughts on cell phones at live shows

What are your thoughts of cell phone usage at live shows? I personally canít stand the cell phones at shows. I feel like they have killed the live experience of the live show. The crowd should be actively active by engaging in rock n roll activity such as dancing, moshing, crowd surfing, fist pumping, and meeting new friends!

T R A I T O R

It has become inherent for people to capture moments on their phones, they're slowly becoming part of us; an extension of our mind and memories. However, it surely does distract you from the full experience and can't engage as much. Personally, i record a few tracks because i do like having a 4K Digital Memory of seeing it live. You can almost relive it, but not quite. What annoys me, is people feel the need to record the whole show on Snapchat and upload the whole thing in 15 second increments. Also, the energy of the crowd drops as soon as the phone comes out. So yes, i'm against cell phones at live shows. Live in the moment ppl!

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

This video says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mi-CroMartie View Post

This video says it all.
    Thanks for sharing that video. Sadly it speaks much truth.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

All I can say is photo bomb or intentionally obscure their lenses and go "Oops, sorry" as though it was a genuine accident. Either that or "accidentally" knock them off of their footing. That is all.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    It has become inherent for people to capture moments on their phones, they're slowly becoming part of us; an extension of our mind and memories. However, it surely does distract you from the full experience and can't engage as much. Personally, i record a few tracks because i do like having a 4K Digital Memory of seeing it live. You can almost relive it, but not quite. What annoys me, is people feel the need to record the whole show on Snapchat and upload the whole thing in 15 second increments. Also, the energy of the crowd drops as soon as the phone comes out. So yes, i'm against cell phones at live shows. Live in the moment ppl!
    Yeah, and it takes away from the overall atmosphere that bands are trying to create. There's no real raw energy or band/audience engagement as a shared experience anymore. Personally, I take pictures of the merch booths, people I know and/or meet and only maybe a handful of pictures of Manson/The band and maybe 2 - 3 short recordings of a song. Other than that, I just focus on the show. At first I was distracted by people around me who just want to watch and film the shows through their iPads and mobile phones, but I learned to tune them out. I've taken the "I am among no one" approach to being at shows during the performances - lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Original AIDS provider.

Taking photos or a quick video is fine, but people who have their phone in the air the whole time are not only missing the point, they're causing problems for everyone around them. It only takes a second to snap a photo, normally I won't take a video unless I'm on the barrier so I can hold it in front of me instead of in the air, or can otherwise hold it fairly low while still seeing the stage. I typically don't look at the screen while I doing it either and still watch the show, so my videos normally come out hella shaky. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Mi-CroMartie View Post

This video says it all.

Videos and arguments like that are stupid. They always rely on the idea that people are so busy glued to their screens they've lost contact with the world around them, but it ignores the fact they're glued to their screens as a connection to the world around them. I mean, we're all here, Manson fans from across the world who for the most part would've never met any other way, all here gather to talk about a common interest. There's been friendships and relationships formed here, and this is a minuscule little corner of the internet. Through all my social media channels and other online connections, I can talk to people around the world and have had quality conversations with far more people than I ever would have done without that. Even for the people I know in real life, my mobile phone means I can be in constant and instant communication with them, wherever both of us are. Friends who I otherwise may only get to see on occasion are constantly there in the palm of my hand, and though we may not see each other we can talk every day. The way it's opened up communication is staggering.

This video also implies people don't care any more, that they see some sort of injustice or tragedy in the world and they just keep on scrolling, or post it online and move on. That immediately disproved by the outrage that lone situations can cause now - bad behaviour in public, caught on camera, can lead to people being called to account, and one video of a cop kneeling on George Floyd's neck has seen months of social action on a global scale. No way that was happening without mobile phones.

The third thing it tries to do is imply we're all so obsessed with image and the chase for physical perfection now. We are, but that's nothing new - there's been sex symbols from the Venus of Willendorf through to Marilyn Monroe. Now it just happens through a different medium, that's all, and it's counteracted by the ease by which more 'average' looking people can be represented.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

It depends. If you're Haz, you can capture great quality stuff no matter how big or crazy the show gets. If you're on the 3rd floor in some big ass venue, it's sorta pointless beyond a few pics or recording video if you have a good phone for something decent for a song or 2.

If you're in a small club and like 5 feet away from the band (like me with Tim Skold last summer) you can get some dope shots and Skold even shared a pic or 2 I took on his IG/FB.

For me I like to get some photos and some clips of favourite songs... A few selfies enjoying the show with friends with a pint of beer but I don't get people that stand there recording the whole show. However on the flip side of that if I can't make it to the show or wanting to know setlist's i'm happy to watch them lol I would agree though the energy of concerts seemed higher before smart phones. I think more people moved about and interacted with each other.

Photos yes 100%, video recordings that are longer than 10 seconds no way gtfo.