Thread: Do you still feel anxious with the pandemic situation right now?

Default Do you still feel anxious with the pandemic situation right now?

Hi folks,

I am beginning to feel anxious and ruminate over things regarding Covid19. 2020 is almost over yet i dont feel so safe. Right now, Covid cases in UK shoot up regardless of the vaccine roll-out.
    I am getting fearful of what's next? Do you feel the same?

Hoping to hear a few thoughts from anyone? :(

Original AIDS provider.

Things have been VERY tame where I am compared to the rest of world, but I feel cautious of the situation than I did earlier in the year, because people have become a lot more complacent about it all. There's a constant up and down of small clusters breaking out, tightening of restrictions, cases easing up, loosening of restrictions, and it's the back and forth and complacency of people contributing to those spikes that makes the whole situation a pain.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Things have been VERY tame where I am compared to the rest of world, but I feel cautious of the situation than I did earlier in the year, because people have become a lot more complacent about it all. There's a constant up and down of small clusters breaking out, tightening of restrictions, cases easing up, loosening of restrictions, and it's the back and forth and complacency of people contributing to those spikes that makes the whole situation a pain.
    I exactly agree with you - that's why I can't help but to think. They say 2021 could be even worse even there's a vaccine (that I feel it is still unsafe to take). I have read an article (https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...us-anxiety.htm) and it says that media is a major factor that causing covid panic - news are overblown. What's your take on this?

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by hugeur View Post
    I exactly agree with you - that's why I can't help but to think. They say 2021 could be even worse even there's a vaccine (that I feel it is still unsafe to take). I have read an article (https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...us-anxiety.htm) and it says that media is a major factor that causing covid panic - news are overblown. What's your take on this?
    Of course it is. Any Manson fan is surely already aware of the business the news media trades in. Fear, sensationalism, anxiety - they utilise them all to keep people watching, because ultimately what they all trade in is advertising revenue. This has nothing to do with any Donald Trump-like claims of "fake news" or some kind of conspiracy to control the public, it's just capitalism. The owner of the news corp (and yes, the News Corp) wants as many people as possible watching/ reading/ browsing at all times so they can make the most on advertising. How do you keep people watching? Your programming can't be boring. If you got told that everything was sunshine and happiness, would you keep watching the news? People want action moves to have lots of explosions, comedies to have lots of jokes and dramas to have lots of, uh, drama. They want news that contains lots going on. That's why the puff piece about the puppy getting rescued always goes at the end - so you end on a happy little high, that sticks in your head so you'll come back next time for a dose of doom and gloom.

You just have to bear that in mind when watching. I'm naturally incredibly cynical and skeptical, so I take everything I see from any news source with huge chunks of salt until I've fact-checked it from several different unrelated sources with widely differing political bias. Until then, it's just something I heard. I recommend everybody else do the same.

It's also important to have the ability to just switch it off and don't care (within reasonable bounds, don't leave yourself uninformed about the world), plus I just have too much shit to worry about personally to get too caught up in covid panic.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I agree, sensationalism, is what sells the news. And also don't overlook the idea that human beings have an innate negativity bias. It is what keeps us alive to some degree. We are always looking out for and being prepared for danger. Mix that with a heaping dose of trauma, which everyone experiences in life....(I mean the very first experience we have when we enter the world is being smacked), and whadya get...anxiety. Trauma, pain...welcome to the world. And yet, the pain makes us feel alive, at least our response to it, makes us feel alive.
    It helps me to keep a perspective. I don't watch the news, I tend to focus on what I can control and let go of what I can't and I try to engage in self-care and implement mindfulness techniques. I also take precautions when I do go out, but I really stay home most of the time. I was sent home to work around the last week of March...and I actually love it.
    And even though I don't watch the news, I do however work with people everyday who have anxiety and depression. I sort of get a bird's eye view of how this whole Covid-19 situation is effecting people. Increased anxiety, depression, panic disorder and agoraphobia. Those are the very real, and rampant, incapacitating symptoms of Corona virus that are rarely even addressed. But, there are healthy ways to deal with these things effectively, holistically or otherwise.
    Last edited by Xenia; 01-15-2021 at 10:09 PM.
    The best time for
    new beginnings
    is NOW.